The Central Elections Commission
The main duties of the CEC commission include the following:
Ratifying all necessary procedures for conducting presi dential, legislative and local elections in Palestine.
Supervising and monitoring each step of the electoral process.
Verifying that election activities are carried out in accordance with the law.
Ensuring that the necessary measures are in place to allow elections to be held in a free, fair and transparent manner.
Ratifying and announcing the election results.
Internal regulation of the Central Elections Commission
The National Electoral Office
The daily operations of the CEC are carried out by the National Electoral Office. The National Electoral Office is the administrative and executive body of the Central Elections Commission and is headed by the Chief Electoral Officer who is appointed by the CEC and reports directly to it. The NEO prepares plans, procedures and bylaws; and presents them before the commissioners for ratification. Responsibilities of the National Electoral Office include:
- Developing strategies for each phase of the election processes and action plans for their execution.
- Recruiting and training electoral employees.
- Preparing the preliminary and final Voters List.
- Coordinating with all organizations concerned with the electoral process.
- Accrediting electoral lists, their candidates, independent candidates and their agents.
- Raising voters’ awareness of the importance of elections and how to participate in them.
- Archiving all documents and files relating to the elections
- Acting as a communications link between the Central Elections Commission and other bodies concerned with the elections, such as political parties, media, observers and candidates.
- Accrediting local and international observation bodies and media representatives.
To implement its work, the National Electoral Office has the following main departments:
- The Field Operations Department: In charge of drawing up, conducting and administering plans related to voter registration and polling and coordinating between the electoral districts and the headquarter.
The department includes 3 sections:
- Planning and Support
- Field Coordination
- The Electoral Procedures Department: Responsible for preparing all electoral procedures in terms of challenge and exhibition, nomination, observation, parties’ affairs, voting and counting. Moreover, the department is responsible for preparing civic education and awareness programs.
The department includes the following sections:
- Procedures and Training
- Political Parties and Candidates
- Voters Education
- Graphic Design
- Financial Department: Overseers the financial aspects of the Commission in accordance with the instituted laws and regulations. This includes managing;
- Financial Audit
- Administrative Department: Oversees the administrative aspects of the Commission. This includes managing;
- Administrative Services
- Legal Support
- The IT Department: works on providing technical resources, setting up and organizing communication techniques and developing the software necessary for the work of the Commission in a timely and secure manner The Department includes the following sections:
- Management Information System (MIS)
- System, Networking and Technical Support
- Public Relations and Field Projects Department: In charge of communication with media and Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), local and international observes and journalists accreditation, and implementation of awareness projects. It includes the following sections:
- Observation and CSOs
- Field Projects