Palestinian electoral law guarantees the right of local and international media representatives to cover all phases of the electoral process and assigns the responsibility for media accreditation to the CEC.
1. Standards and principles of media coverage
Local and international media shall adhere to the following standards:
• Professionalism: Media representatives should be professional in their coverage of the electoral process, commit to neutrality, objectivity and credibility and refrain from publishing news that may invoke hatred, racism or tribal disputes.
• Compliance with the law: Journalists and media representatives shall adhere to the laws and regulations issued in this regard as well as to the Code of Conduct for journalists issued by the CEC.
• Accuracy: Journalists and media representatives shall seek accuracy in the information they provide to the public regarding the electoral process by ensuring that information is obtained from reliable sources.
2. Rights of media representatives
All accredited media representatives covering the electoral process shall be entitled to the following:
• Media accreditation cards issued by the CEC.
• Entry into all registration centers (with the consent of the presiding officer).
• Access to all services provided in the CEC media unit.
• To conduct interviews inside registration centers with voters, observers, and agents of political parties and candidates. Interviews, however, are strictly prohibited inside registration centers and may not in any way interfere in electoral processes.
• Meetings with CEC officials.
3. Obligations of journalists and media representatives
All accredited journalists and media representatives must adhere to the following:
• CEC accreditation cards must be worn while inside registration centers.
• The display of colors, symbols or slogans that are similar or identical to any of those belonging to partisan entities is prohibited.
• Refrain from creating any disturbance inside registration centers and leave the center when it is crowded.
• Interviews must not be conducted inside registration centers.
• Obtaining or recording the personal information of registrants or voters is prohibited.
• Refrain from interfering in the electoral process and from influencing the decisions of voters.
• Refrain from using CEC accreditation cards for purposes other than those specified, and from giving the card to anyone other than the person to whom it was issued.
4. General provisions
• The presiding officer of the registration center is entitled to check accreditation cards before allowing journalists to enter the registration center. The presiding officer regulates and facilitates the work of media representatives inside the registration center.
• The CEC has the right to revoke the accreditation of any media representative or journalist in the event of a violation of the provisions of the law and the regulations of this code of conduct.
• The CEC has designated three spokespersons: the Chairman, Dr. Hanna Nasir, and the CEO, Mr. Hisham Kuhail. All interviews of CEC personnel must be coordinated with Mr. Fareed Taamallah, the media coordinator at the CEC’s headquarters.
Contact the CEC:
Phone: 02 2969700 Fax: 02 2969712
Headquarters offices in Gaza:
Phone: 08 2846050
Central Elections Commission-PalestineAll rights reserved©2013